St Martin’s Institute, which was originally called the Victoria Memorial Hall, was opened in 1904. It is a grade two listed building. It has a very large upstairs hall with a wooden floor and stage, and a downstairs hall which is divided into two and also has a kitchen.
It is a beautiful building which has sadly been neglected and now needs quite a bit of work doing. However, in recent years we have been successful in getting a grant from BIFFA to replace the heating system, and we are gradually updating the building.
St Martin’s Church has always regarded the Institute as a community building which is run for the benefit of the local community. It aims to keep rental of the halls at an affordable rate.
The Institute is well used by groups who are regular users and for community functions such as children’s parties.